Friday, January 28, 2011

Launchball

Launchball

I planned on playing the game launchball for about half an hour... about three hours later I was thoroughly immersed in the game. Lanuchball is a very simple looking game that requires you to launch a ball into a ‘goal’ area. This seems simple enough but you add obstacles and a number of different objects that bounce, pull, push or stop the ball from moving and you have a very engaging and difficult game. Like any good game the levels become progressively more difficult adding more obstacles and a number of additional objects that the player can use to move the ball along.

While there is no doubt that this is an engaging game, I find myself struggling to nail down what students would learn from playing this game. One skill that virtually every game teaches is problem solving, launchball is no different. One thing I struggle with is that I am not a science and math guy, so although I know there are some principals of science and math incorporated into this game I have a hard time nailing them down. Electricity, force and magnetism are all in the game, but I am not sure how much is actually being learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment