Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Relevance of Education

Shelly Blake-Plock (@blakeplock) a faculty associate at Johns Hopkins School of Education wrote a blog post today entitled What will Education Look Like in 2020?  It is a good read but there is one particular quote in the post that I really like.

"In the digital age, technology is the access point to relevance."  


This is a huge statement, one that had me considering current teaching practice.  What I have been thinking about lately is how do we move educators to a place where they believe the above statement? So that they start to examine what happens in their classroom and why.  While talking about this quote with Les Sereda (@LesSereda) I wondered how teachers would respond to the quote.  This quote is saying much more than the need for technology in education, it is saying that technology is not just a tool, or fun add on in the classroom, it is fundamental to education.  If teachers were to respond to the following question what would they say?

In the digital age, is the way you are teaching students relevant?

Let me know what you think

Aaron

4 comments:

  1. I am not sure if the way I am teaching is relevant but on the other hand if it isn't relevant then why am I teaching? I would hope some of it is or else.... What does the alternative look like? Was what I was taught relevant? We do need to be careful as we do have a curriculum to guide us as to what information to teach. How we deliver it is a good question.

    I agree that it isn't a tool anymore or a fun add on in the classroom. But technology changes so quickly, how are you to keep up?

    I can't imagine what or how I use to teach without some of the technology specifically the internet for research(inquiry), word processing for writing, google docs for efficient and immediate feedback, projecting, emailing for communication, even copying and scanning. It has gotten easier in some ways.

    A good question Aaron!


    If it is the relevance point, what does that look like? I need concrete examples, pictures, not just blanket statements that sound fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole concept to me, to be honest, sounds a little bit scary. If this is true relevance on a societal level, then am I doing enough? Am I doing the right things? At the right times? I have incorporated a ton of things, and though I believed that I was a pioneering soul - technologically - just a year ago, now I fear that I am not doing enough to meet these students' needs. I believe I need another day added to the week to catch up on tech trends and to find what's really useful, relevant and SUFFICIENT for our students' futures.

    Study on, I suppose. Your guidance and support will mean that much more now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this question and I have been asking myself this question since the fall when I began this endeavor. Like Susan, I am struggling with the what "relevant teaching" looks like. I understand and appreciate the necessary skills that we need to be teaching but how to make it the most effective or relevant with the curriculum that I am required to teach in the classroom is my next question. I am not sure anyone has the exact answer to this question and I am going to have to construct my own meaning of this relevance for now. It is going to require me to take risks and experiment with my instructional strategies and how learning is happening in my classroom. I am going to have to "play" with the teaching and learning process to find what works best for my students and myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great question Aaron. I struggle with this question often when I start to use technology in my class (or anything in my class). I am not sure what "relevant teaching" would look like in Jr high science so I worry often if I am providing that type of teaching. Is this the best way to use this blog or discussion site? Is this a great use of google docs? Are the kids learning to be digital citizens, as well as the lesson?
    Am I teaching the curriculum I am suppose to..yup. Am I trying to incorporate new and "up to date" lessons or strategies to catch all learners and their abilities...I hope so.

    I strongly feel that technology is not a tool or a thing to add in or 'just use' so say that we have used it, but I need to see examples or ideas on how I can make it relevant to each and every student, as well as myself.
    Thanks Aaron!

    ReplyDelete